This rich anthology offers 128 pages of poetry for the upper elementary and middle school students. The works of some of the most prestigious poets in the Spanish speaking world are represented.
Some of the poets included among many others are:
- from Spain, Rafael Alberti, Federico García Lorca, Juan Ramón Jiménez, Antonio Machado
- from Argentina, Elsa Isabel Bornemann, María Elena Walsh
- from Costa Rica, Floria Jiménez
- from Chile, Gabriela Mistral
- from Cuba, Mirta Aguirre, David Chericián, José Martí
- from México, Elías Nandino, Antonio Ramírez Granados, Octavio Paz, Gilda Rincón
- from Nicaragua, Rubén Darío
- from Puerto Rico, Ester Feliciano Mendoza
Poems by Alma Flor Ada published originally in this anthology include: Chirrido de la cigarra and the retelling in verse of the traditional tales of Cenicienta and Las semillas mágicas. These poetic versions of beloved tales have been put to music and recorded by Suni Paz. Cenicienta in the CD Tres princesas and Las semillas mágicas in the CD Cuéntame un cuento.
Poetry is one of the best gifts we can give children. A poem a day enhances a child’s life with the sounds of words, with rhyme and rhythm, with the enchantment of images and metaphors, with the invitation to see reality with new eyes.
Our culture is very rich in outstanding poets and excellent poetry. Some poets write primarily for children, but even our most recognized poets have at some time or other written poetry that children can enjoy.
The Cielo abierto Poetry Collection is composed of seven poetry anthologies. These rich anthologies include selections from the folklore along with the work of the best Spanish-speaking poets from the United States, Latin America and Spain. Each of the selections has been carefully chosen to awaken children’s love of poetry and to deepen their appreciation for the musicality and richness of the Spanish language. Original poems by Alma Flor Ada and Isabel.
It is impossible to assign a specific age to poetry, since the same poem can be enjoyed by children of different ages at different moments. Yet, there is a certain progression of language and reading difficulty in the series reflected in the order in which the titles are listed.
Grade levels have been mentioned next to the titles as an orientation, but should not be seen restrictively.
The titles are:
- Gorrión, gorrión [PreK-2] 64 pages
- El verde limón [K-3] 48 pages
- Dulce es la sal [K-3] 48 pages
- La rama azul [2-5] 64 pages
- Nuevo día [2-5] 64 pages
- Huertos de coral [5-8] 128 pages
- Ríos de lava [5-12] 128 pages
If you have enjoyed reading or sharing this book, I would very much like to hear from you. Please click here to send your comments.