This series is composed of 12 books, in separate versions in English and Spanish. The twelve titles correspond to the twelve months of the year. There is a CD with all English stories and one with all Spanish stories, or individual cassettes for each title.
The books have been beautifully illustrated by award-winning illustrator Viví Escrivá. Her attractive illustrations are both whimsical and tender.
The stories of the series are:
CDS AND CASSETTES DESCRIPTION
There is a special value to listening to a books read by the author. Such recordings show just where the author wishes to convey feelings and emotions, emphasis and suspense. When the text is put to music it acquires additional interest for children.
I particularly like to read aloud and to record my readings so, for me, it was particularly joyful to record these twelve stories in English and Spanish.
A Special Bonus
Because these stories have been so beloved by children, I conceived the idea of given them an extra dimension. I have rewritten the 12 stories in Spanish in verse format. And Suni Paz, with her incomparable creativity, has put them to music. So the Spanish cassettes and CD contain not only the story as published in the book told by me, but also the story retold in verse form and sang by Suni.
The twelve books of this series are some of my best well known books among bilingual teachers and their students. They are also very dear to my heart since the inspiration for most of them comes from my own children’s childhood.
Teachers constantly comment on the fact that many of the stories lend themselves to present or support curricular themes without loosing their interest as stories.
THEMES, VALUES AND HOLIDAYS REPRESENTED
- Animal Sounds: In the Cow’s Backyard
- Birds, Eggs: A Surprise for Mother Rabbit
- Butterfly Metamorphosis: A Rose with Wings
- Colors, Primary and Secondary: How the Rainbow Came to Be
- Disabilities: The Golden Cage
- Festivities, Piñatas: The Empty Piñata
- Health, nutrition, exercise: “Turkey for Thanksgiving?”
- Plants Cycle: After the Storm
- Responsibility: It Wasn’t Me
- Water Cycle: I Don’t Want to Melt
- Different Point of View:What Are Ghosts Afraid Of?, The Golden Cage
- Diversity, Multiculturalism: A Surprise for Mother Rabbit
- Collaboration, Solidarity, Friendship: How the Rainbow Came to Be, I Don’t Want to Melt, In the Cow’s Backyard
- Generosity, Reciprocity: The Empty Piñata
- Freedom: The Golden Cage
- Perseverance, Ingenuity: A Rose with Wings, The Kite, “Turkey for Thanksgiving?”
- Problem Solving: How the Rainbow Came to Be, In the Cow’s Backyard, “Turkey for Thanksgiving”
- Valentine: It Wasn’t Me
- Easter: A Surprise for Mother Rabbit
- Cinco de Mayo: The Empty Piñata
- Halloween: What Are Ghosts Afraid Of?
- Thanksgiving: “Turkey for Thanksgiving?”
- Christmas: The Golden Cage
If you have enjoyed reading or sharing these books, I would very much like to hear from you. Please click here to send your comments.